The Department of Pupil Services impacts the social, emotional, physical and educational components of each child's education in the Avon Central School District. The department includes the following positions: central registrar, social workers, school counselors, psychologists, speech and language therapists, itinerant service providers, school physician, ESL teacher, special education teachers, remedial reading teachers, occupational therapists and physical therapist. In addition, the office:
• Coordinates tutorial services for students who legally are unable to attend school,
• Supervises home instruction programs of pupils as requested by parents under the provisions of New York State Law,
• Supervises the implementation of the Section 504 process,
• Coordinates the District screening program for new students entering the school system, and
• Ensures the implementation of the Part 200 Regulations of the Commissioner of Education for all students with disabilities.
Pupil Services function as an integral part of the total school program to facilitate teaching and learning.
• They assist the teacher to identify and understand student characteristics which influence learning styles and outcomes.
• They provide information needed by the school in planning suitable education for individuals and for groups of students.
• They give direct assistance to students in adjusting to learning situations, understanding themselves in relation to education, and in planning and preparing for adult living.
• They function in assisting parents to understand and support the student's progress in school.
• They encourage and assist in the school's efforts to provide for full development of each student.
In order to address the needs of students, each of our schools has an Instructional student Support Team (ISST). Membership on this team varies with the grade level of the school, however, the following people will be found on one or more of these teams: principal, school nurse, school counselor, remedial reading teacher, school psychologist, special education teacher, social worker, and speech and language therapist. Regular meetings of the ISST are scheduled throughout the year by the building principals
For further information, please contact the Director of Pupil Services, 226-2455 x1417 or your building principal.
The links on the left provide access to a great number of wonderful resources.